5 Simple Ways to Improve Balance
Balance is an essential aspect of our everyday lives and well-being. It is very important in preventing falls and injuries. We often forget to work on our balance though. So here are 5 simple ways to improve balance:
- Gradually build the muscles of the legs, calves, and thighs. A great exercise for this is squats as it requires no equipment, is a simple motion, and provides great strengthening over time. You may try squats toward the front, side, or back. Complete 3 sets of 10 each day.
- Exercises that directly target balancing are great to try anytime and anywhere. These may include weight shifts, in which you start with even weight between your feet but then shift your weight onto the right or left foot. In doing so, you may keep both feet on the floor or raise the foot that is not carrying your weight. Try balancing for about 30 seconds and repeat on either side. Over time you will be able to increase the number of sets you can complete in a row.Single leg balance exercises improve both muscular strength as well as overall balance. With a counter to support you, lift one leg and balance on the other for about 30 seconds to a minute. Over time you will be able to increase the amount of time you can balance on one foot.
- Attending certain exercise classes is another great way to improve balance. Yoga definitely allows you to practice balance in performing the motions and poses, as well as practice mindfulness, which overall can reduce stress.
- Make sure you wear proper shoes. Certain shoes, such as high heels, increase your risk of losing balance or rolling your foot. Always use footwear you are most comfortable with.
- Get a proper amount of sleep. Drowsiness increases risk of falls, accidents, and injuries. Make sure you sleep well for about 8 hours each night.
For more information on improving balance, check out This Article